Thursday, September 27, 2007

Le Villi Opera

The Le Villi Opera

The first opera for our blog project was Puccini’s Le Villi. There were more things that I liked about it than I didn’t like.

Let’s start with what I didn’t like. The first thing I didn’t like was when the opera started; I forgot to activate the subtitles. It would be hard for my partner and I to understand the opera without subtitles when the opera is sang in Italian. Another thing I didn’t like about it wan instead of having the mad scene like in Giselle (the ballet form of the opera), there was narration that told about Anna’s death. I found this to be highly understandable, because the composer didn’t want the opera to look like it was plagiarized from Giselle.

Now here is what I liked about Le Villi. The first thing I liked was the opera had ballet style dancing at the beginning of acts I and II. The one I liked better was the dancing of the Willis. The background music was very beautiful. This opera was like an opera and a ballet in one. Another thing that I liked was how Anna’s appearance was changed from act I to II. In act I, her hair was in a bun. In act II, her hair was let down. At first, I thought it was the queen of the Willis, but then I noticed it was really Anna.

As far as special aspects go, there was narration, which was something that I never saw in an opera before. I can assume that there are other operas that have this special aspect as well. After seeing this opera, it tempted me to add it to my birthday list.

No comments: