Wednesday, October 17, 2007

A Critique of Puccini’s Edgar

A Critique of Puccini’s Edgar

There is a saying of everyone loves Puccini. The reason is that the music in his operas is beautiful, and most of the stories are easy to understand provided they are watched on video. Edgar proves that this is true.

What I didn’t Like

There was obviously nothing I didn’t like about this opera. I believe that this was one of the best operas I ever saw on video.

What I did Like

I liked every piece of this opera. One of them was the soprano that played Fidelia. She had one of the most beautiful voices. I also liked the contralto that played Tigrana. A contralto is normally used to play the role of a villain. The way she played the role of Tigrana was awesome. I liked the way it made it look like she was laughing when Frank was contemplating about his involvement with her.

Another thing that I liked was the choir voices in the background. During the funeral scene, there were children’s voices in the background too. It may not have been as beautiful as the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, but it was all very pleasant to listen to.

The best thing that I liked about this opera was that the story was easy to understand.

Special Aspects

A special aspect I was able to see was the way Tigrana smiled when she was getting enjoyment from people suffering. Another special aspect was the townspeople all singing together at times. One of them was when they were trying to make Tigrana leave the village for her evil ways. Another time was during the funeral scene.

Best Purchase Option

The best place to purchase this opera is at amazon.com. They offer used and new merchandise for a decent discount. People can purchase this opera wherever they want, but I believe that this is the best choice.

No comments: