Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Double Critique

Okay, First off, I want to apologize for not posting along with my partners in writing, but I have been ill for the past couple weeks. I'm feeling better now and am going to make this easier on all of you, and me! For my first post, I'm just going to critique our first two operas, instead of critiquing and summarizing them all over again.

LE VILLI
This opera was actually the very first opera that I had ever seen. I initially thought that the story line was a little slow. I liked the love-story theme in the beginning,. Towards the middle and the end, as Anna became heart-broken, and bitterly vengeful, I could understand what she was going through, being a girl myself.

Also, being a former dancer, I closely watched the dance aspect of the production. Le Villi was almost like a ballet with singing. There was lots of group dancing. My favorite part of the dance ensembles was the dance of the Villis. Their dance conveyed their pain and anguish. Their dance also showed the energy and passion that it took to drive the man that caused Anna's heart-break, to his death.

All in all, I was surprised that the entire production was as good as it was. I was expecting something completely boring and absolutely nothing that I could relate to. Aside from the fact that it was a little slow going in the beginning, I would say that Le Villi was a pretty good show.

LA CENERENTOLA
When I was told that La Cenerentola was a Cinderella story, I got excited because I had been told the same story since I was little. When I actually watched La Cenerentola, I was a little disappointed. Yes, it was the basic Cinderella idea of two evil step-sisters and an un-caring, evil step-parent, a prince holding a ball to find a bride, and all of the eligible females in the vicinity were to attend the ball so the prince could choose his bride from the attendees.

The disappointment came from the simplicity of everything within the production. There was little dancing throughout the show, except for during the ball. The costuming was very plain. The singing grated my nerves.

I want it known that I am not saying that this is a horrible opera and that it should never be viewed or listened to again. All that I am saying is that I didn't like it. Plain and simple. Maybe it was because I was sick at the time that I watched it, or maybe not. Watch it for your self and pass your own judgment.

No comments: