Wednesday, October 31, 2007

My First step toward starting my opera journey

Thomas Daly

Music 121

2/2/02


UNLV Wind Orchestra Concert III

The concert that I went to was the UNLV Wind Orchestra Concert number III. The only thing that I didn’t like about it was my worrisome attitude before the concert even started. What that means is I thought the outcome would not be to my liking being I was currently attached to modern music. Fortunately, it didn’t turn out the way I predicted. It was highly enjoyable from the start to the end, and it made me realize certain things.

The major things that I liked about the concert is that it made me look on music as being like two sides of a coin. One side good, and the other not as good. Ever since I was in fifth grade, I was drawn over to the not as good side. The thing that turned me to this side was having to listen to all that rock and roll, rhythm and blues, and other styles. As a result it got me addicted to it for over twenty years, and I thought that I would never turn back to the other side of music. Thanks to the concert, I was finally able to turn myself back to the good side of music which is made of classical music and easy listening. This concert made me realize that there is a classical music lover in every one of us, and it is up to only one person to get that out; that person is ourselves. The concert also tempted me into purchasing some classical music at the music store.

The next best thing that I liked about the concert was the piece titled Intermezzo from Guglielmo Ratcliff. (Pietro Mascagni) This was the most heartwarming experience I have ever had. I was overwhelmed in a positive manner by the piece. I found it to be one of the most beautiful pieces of music that I ever heard. This piece had a few beautiful touches of the harp too. When the piece ended I started to realize that classical music can have heartwarming qualities as well as modern music.

The piece titled Sinfonia Nobilissima gave me an answer to one of my questions. (Robert Jager) That question is, “Do pieces that start off with a real fast tempo, then calm down to a slow one exist?” It gave me an answer of yes, and I know that I will probably hear many other pieces like that in the future.

The last piece titled Symphony Number 2 Romantic Movement III, gave me an answer to another one of my questions. (Howard Hanson) “Do pieces that start off as loud, then move into a soft manner exist?” This question too gave me an answer of yes, and that there are probably a ton of other pieces like it out there.

As far as special aspects go, at the end of the concert one of the players from the woodwind section shook hands with the conductor. That’s the one I liked the best. A highly possible purpose of that was that particular woodwind player had a great deal of pleasure in working with him. The second aspect of this concert was that my instructor from my music appreciation class was one of the players in the horn section. I probably didn’t actually see him, but I found it to be a great pleasure to actually hear him play.

I found this concert to be one of the best experiences of my life, and I am looking forward to the next concert that I will attend.





Works Cited

UNLV Wind Orchestra, perf, , Intermezzo from Guglielmo Ratcliff. dir, Teppi Suzuki, Artemus Ham concert Hall. Las Vegas NV. 31 Jan. 2002.

UNLV Wind Orchestra, perf, Sinfonia Nobilissima. dir, Teppi Suzuki, Artemus Ham concert Hall. Las Vegas NV. 31 Jan. 2002.

UNLV Wind Orchestra, perf, Symphony Number 2 Romantic Movement III. dir, Teppi Suzuki, Artemus Ham concert Hall. Las Vegas NV. 31 Jan. 2002.

No comments: