Thursday, October 11, 2007

Cyrano de Bergerac Critique

Cyrano de Bergerac Critique

Photo courtesy of BBC Radio http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/musicmatters/pip/ne23b/, 7May2006

The opera I will be critiquing is Cyrano de Bergerac. I currently own this opera on CD, but not
on video. The reason I wanted to watch it is so I could understand the story better.


What I did not like

The thing that I did not like was very minor. At times when the camera focused off stage,
the orchestra could be seen. However, this did not affect my enjoying this opera.


What I liked
The first thing I liked about this opera was shortly after the overture was played, Cyrano
(The head character) made his entry on stage through the audience. This was something I have
never seen in an opera before. I am wondering if Cyrano de Bergerac I sever shown here at

UNLV they would have Cyrano enter via the audience.

Another thing that I liked about this opera was the beautiful voices of women singing at

the opening of act 5 when Roxanne enters the convent. I never had the chance to hear this part

on my CD, and when I do get a chance I am anxious to hear it for myself.

Special Aspects

The only special aspect I can think of was Cyrano coming on stage through the audience, and
singing as he approached the stage. Could this make Cyrano de Bergerac a unique opera, or is
this done in other operas as well? If this is done at the beginning of other operas, I am hoping to
see this again in the future.
Where Cyrano de Bergerac can be purchased

I believe the best place to purchase this opera is at amazon.com. The link to the website for this

BBC Radio, Music Matters, 7 May 2006,

No comments: