Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Hansel and Gretel critique

UNLV wrote:

Hansel and Gretel critique

 

A Critique of the Opera Hansel and Gretel

 

              I have been listening to this opera on CD for a long time.  Although it is sung in English, I still had a hard time understanding the story, until I saw it on video.  In this essay, I will talk about what I did not like about the opera, what I did like, and the special aspects. 

 

What I did not like about the opera

 

            I found nothing dislikable about this opera.  I believe that Hansel and Gretel will please opera fans all around the world.

 

What I did like about the opera

 

            This opera was highly likable from the very start to the end.  The major thing that I liked about watching Hansel and Gretel on video is that it got me to understand the story a lot better.  First of all, after Hansel and Gretel were almost finished dancing instead of working, their mother (Gertrude) was watching them.  This was something that can’t be noticed by just listening to it on CD.  The next thing I really liked was after Hansel and Gretel fell asleep in the woods, there were fairies dancing around the stage like ballet dancers.  This is also something you can’t notice by just audio alone.  I also liked the appearance of the dew fairy before act II.  I didn’t know about the dew fairy until seeing the video.   In the witch’s house scene, I was finally able to understand how the witch gets destroyed.  It was done be Gretel tricking her into showing her how to get into the oven.  Gretel then pushes the witch in and closes the door.  After the witch was destroyed, all the children under her spell were freed.  They even sang with beautiful voices.  As far as all the other characters go, I liked every one of their voices.

 

Special Aspects

 

            The only special aspect was that the production on the DVD was done on Christmas.  I discovered this by accident.  This raises an interesting question.  Can Hansel and Gretel be looked on as a Christmas opera?  If the answer to this question is yes, then it might be something that children would view during that time of year. 

 

              Even non-dedicated opera fans might find Hansel and Gretel to by a very enjoyable experience just like I have.

 

 

No comments: